Thursday, January 14, 2010

Looking Ugly in the Face



Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but every once in a while I deviate from nice to a more quirky option when I'm buying fabric. When I get it home I question my motives. I then talk to myself like a Dutch uncle. They aren't all supposed to be matchy, matchy nor all prima donnas. But then they languish. How virtuous I feel when one of my "what was I thinking of" fabric choices actually saves the day. 8^)

I like Jane Sassaman and particularly enjoyed a class with her. So the 2 large quirky florals from her collection I like but I have never quite figured what to do with them. The green polka dot is new and says BUSY to me. But I'm calming myself because I'm leaving the old style behind which was 'calm' as well as predictable. This yellow/white leaf print was very much just plain intuition as the yellow is kinda green. But it has been SO useful that I wish I had more. So what if I actually, purposefully started to use these...

The momentum of the new year has me wanting to Do it All. I smacked my fingers a few times for inching towards the enter key so I could join many of the great bees. I have way too many ufo's to do too much new. Those oldies but goodies are pretty much old style and still interesting to me. But when I saw the Three Creative Studios BOM I didn't slap fast enough! lol I said "go quirky", so this will also push me out of my comfort zone. I'm not sure where they will fit in the deco plan. I don't care. They'll be a treat when the mundane begins to bear down. This is block #4 and I've had my coloured pencils out figuring tentative plans for the first 3 blocks that I missed. I'm liking what I see!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm wondering if I was crazy, just joining this one challenge. I haven't had a single good idea about what to do for it since the prompt was released! It may be a dash at the end, for me.

Anonymous said...

I love how you've fussy cut the flower for the centre of that block. It looks great!

Tonya said...

I love the flower in the center. It is so unexpected with the other colors, but it is brilliant. Great job!