Monday, August 2, 2010

One down...

I have the first baby quilt machine quilted.


I decided to do the envelope finish but with a twist. I didn't want the batting shifting so I MQed the backing to the batting with some straight lines along some of the coloured lines in the backing. Then I laid the top, right sides together on the backing. I stitched around 3 sides and part of the fourth. I put 2 stitches on the diagonal exactly at the corner to make it easier to fit all the seam allowances nicely when I turn everything right side out. I pressed the edges. I sewed the opening closed with some hand stitching and then I top stitched all around the outside edge to make a nice finish. I put a straight pin in the centre of each coloured square. Because this is a small quilt and the edges are done I just started at one side and worked my way to the other with straight lines on each side of the seam. I like more than 1/4 inch so I use the side of the walking foot as my guide. Then I rolled it up and did the same with the lines that cross. I had one very small pucker. This doesn't need lots of pins because I am not quilting close lines and any bit of fullness has room to move. But there isn't a lot to deal with as I iron the cotton batting to the backing and then I make sure the top is laid very flat on the backing and pin heavily around the edge. I sometimes iron the top down as well if I think it necessary. This one didn't need it.



I used a solid pink thread on the top and a variegated red/purple for the back. The first quilted lines blend nicely with the gridded lines and none are really very noticeable on the back. But I feel that the batting is very secure for all the washings it will get. I usually wash my quilts right away as I like that washed and puckered look. I'll be doing that soon.
I'm pleased with how it turned out. But I did piece the batting for this quilt so I need to make a trip to the city to get batting for the others. ... two to go!

3 comments:

Twisted Quilts said...

I love the look of this quilt. I think we often try to do complicated patterns when the simple can be so effective. Great pinks

Terri Stegmiller said...

It turned out lovely!

Createology said...

This quilt is so cheery and fun. I love your finish detail. Happy creating...
Thank you elle for visiting my blog and leaving comments. It means a lot to me.