Wednesday, October 12, 2011

For the birds!

The group challenge is birds. Not wanting to do the obvious, I did bird eggs.





I thought I'd try a digital transfer on some of my hand dyed fabric.




I printed the image from my computer onto the Transfer Artist Paper with my printer. That went swell, except I forgot it prints reverse image. Not too much of a problem as the fabric was darker than the little bit of lettering.






I ironed it on and should not have stopped to take a photo as the colour is lighter after I continued removing the paper backing! ;^)



Then I thought to stencil a bird on the fabric. The stamp was great on the paper but a little bit indistinct on the fabric. I needed a bit of a coarser stamp with deeper grooves, I'm thinking.



It gets a bit softer with a wash but I was anxious to try stitching on it.






Nina no like! :( And when Nina isn't happy I tend to get a little crabby myself! ;)


Now it is possible that part of the problem is the tight weave on my base cloth. I'm thinking I may have to find another fabric much as I like the price and the feel. I may also need to experiment with some different needles.


So I have sat down to think about what to do next. And while I am thinking I shall probably begin to baste the first of two quilts that need quilting asap!




Please feel free to add some "what if's... ".

9 comments:

Createology said...

That is something I really like about you Elle...you are never afraid to try new things. That transfer paper you used is great to also use in a mixed media piece...the leftover image is very vintage looking. As for your fabric piece I can see potential as a journal cover for certain. Wonderful Wednesday of inspiration...

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Ooh the transfer is so pretty! What a great medium! So... what exactly are you not liking about it? (because you know it all looks fine to us).
Monika in Saskatoon

elle said...

You gals are sew encouraging! The transfer I like. The thread painting I don't like. The needle is not stitch stitching smoothly. It is plunk plunking and patchily. (new word) I'm seeing this as a mixed media technique.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

It is very pretty Elle...but from the plunk plunking...lol; I'm thinking wrong needle or thread....and watch that presser foot is down; I know; sounds stupid, but I've done it!!!! lol

HollyM said...

I like it as is but I wonder what it would be like on a muslin or a linen fabric.
I'm glad to see you using the TAP as I ordered it but haven't tried it yet.

M-R Charbonneau said...

That transfer is so cool, Elle! Great picture choice to transfer. I'll be curious to see what you decide to do next. I've been wanting to experiment with those transfer papers too.

Sheila said...

I really like this Elle , I have to admit transfer paper is new to me so it is nice to read about your project .

Karin Millson said...

Good to read what you got up to there. Stunning colours so fresh when everything around me is turning brown.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've read about that transfer paper, but that's all. Never seen it in stores, or anyone who used it in person. Of course, I wasn't crazy about the green fabric. But that was just my take on the eggs, not the transfer.