Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Walking before galloping


 I have doubted myself.  I had pretty much relaxed with my free motion quilting abilities.  The basics I had and I could push those limits.   Then Nina arrived with the Bernina Stitch Regulator as part of her arsenal.  Surely that much money and that much technology must be right.  But I have found the BSR awkward and well, intimidating.  I think I will go back to what I knew to do all by myself.  But first I have to find it!    I can't find my old foot so I may be purchasing a new one.  Drat.


In the mean time, I'm beginning to restore my confidence with some walking foot exercises.  And actually, I do like the channels and the straight lines.  I considered the backings as I thought about design.  The centre runner is the channels.  Easy Peasy. I moved the needle position because I like wide channels and I use the edge of the foot for guide lines.  The narrow piece on the right is a spiral. The centre of the log cabin block is off centre and I like that contrast to the even spacing of the quilted line.  The larger quilt on the left had sashing so I emphasized that and then did the centre square of the block and echoed the shape.




The faster speed of Nina makes this a real pleasure.


The wide space under Nina's arm makes turning a breeze,


even with the larger size.



Walking fine! Now perhaps a trot (?) canter (?) but perhaps not the gallop.
Same horse, different gaits.
Same foot, different  paths.

Next comes the binding and the walking foot absolutely shines at bindings!

6 comments:

HollyM said...

You seem to be going, or should I say galloping with lots of horse metaphors lately!
I like the log cabins, the colors especially.
You have named your new Bernina, Nina? I have a friend who calls her new Janome, Rose, and I've forgotten why.
I've wondered what the stitch regulator might do, and since I can't afford one in the near future, it makes me feel better that you think you would do better without it.

Leanne said...

That is a lovely bit of quilting. I am surprised to hear about the stitch regulator, I had been coveting such a thing as my Janome does not have one.

Michelle in Saskatoon said...

I like the colors too. I never thought about naming my sewing machine, but it seems that many people do...

Createology said...

No snow shoveling equals wonderful sewing. Your runner looks fabulous.

Twisted Quilts said...

I have often wondered about the Bernina stitch regulator. I have never seen it used. I have a Pfaff only because we have a Pfaff dealer. The nearest Bernina dealer is about 60 miles away

Gina said...

This is beautiful fun quilt! I too have given up the Bernina Stitch Regulator although I did have fun with it, I find I sometimes go too fast in spots for it to keep up. I think I should use it once in awhile with the sound on to teach me to be a more even paced quilter. Now I do wish I had one of Nina's sisters with that nice big space and the big bobbin, etc!