Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wow, more polymer clay




On Monday I rolled out the polymer clay for my Altered Book tutorial.  I was happy with my leaves but knew I needed to do some more.



Jenn joins me Wednesdays for Creativity 101 and we did some scrapbooking and magazine journal prep. We could use some embellishments for our projects.  Jenn is all about hearts and I figured we could freehand these as we had no cookie cutters.  The polymer clay hearts will go on the blue, red, pink painted page.  We didn't have the pink so we did a lot of kneading to get the red and white to turn pink.  I liked the striped effect but Jenn wanted pure pink.



One commenter from Monday suggested the clay was too soft so I throttled back and it was easier to work with and not so sticky.



We dusted them with some Perfect Pearls powder and it does add a nice shine when baked.  It also covered my  heart's candy cane effect. :0  The rosy powder did add a nice blush to the blue heart which will help it blend into the page.  Quality control is still wanting.  Finger prints and less than smooth edges are only enhanced by baking!  :(


I baked these in the bigger oven at 265 degrees F and the thermometer read 10 degrees lower so I bumped it up and then cooked them in the covered tin for 20 minutes.  They seem fine!  I was surprised at how light these hearts were after baking.  This was a concern for adhering them to the page but I'm not worried at all now although E-6000 is still recommended.

We had a busy fun day and no pressure creativity is what was on my worktable this Wednesday.

I'm linking to my fellow Needle and Thread Networkers.  Check it out for cross country creativity!

7 comments:

Createology said...

Your hearts look very pretty and I love the glimmer. Working with and baking the clay is a matter of trial and error and you look like you are on the right path to perfection. Blissful Polymer Baking...

Linda said...

Looks like such fun. Love the pink shimmery look.

HollyM said...

What a fun activity for you and Jenn! The journal pages are going to be great itch the added clay bits!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Looks like fun. I've never been too lucky making stuff with the clay that you bake. I always got fingerprints too:) Somewhere I saw a video of someone sculpting with it and they wore those thin medical gloves. I guess that's one way to avoid it.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Once again I had to reboot before I could continue. Of course, when I saw polymer clay in the title, I knew you were baking more. These are great hearts. The pink took a long time to get, but, like you, I know it can be done.

As you know, I use those latex gloves when I work with clay to keep the color off my hands and the fingerprints at bay. However, those gloves do nothing for long fingernails. They poke through the gloves and really ARE enhanced by the baking, just as you noted with the fingerprints. Nice showing, though, and I like how you document the problems you face.

Leanne said...

It looks like you are having a lot of fun with the clay, the hearts are very cute.

M-R Charbonneau said...

That looks so fun! I tried polymer clay many years ago, but kneading it made my hands hurt! Maybe I should give it another try...