Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I see says the blind man!

I am reading slowly, "Photography, the art of seeing", by Freeman Patterson who originates from The Maritimes.

He starts off by saying there are barriers to seeing.


1) Let go of self and that includes all our preconceived concepts, concerns, and expectations.  Have fun looking and let the mental winds relax!  :)  Try capturing something from bending down and shooting between ones legs!  I really did this upside down! lol



Here is another.  While I fool around, the Rooster is hard at work! oops!  Coming, dearie!!!




2) To handle all the stimuli around us we select and organize.  While this is probably a good thing it can lead to tunnel vision.  It is just a tree!  But in isolating a part of that tree...


3) In our need to identify objects we develop labels.   But this stops us from seeing.  Roads are either paved or gravel!   But are they?   Darn dog now has two roads thru the yard! And the tulips under the first tree are where that large dog chose to lay! :)

The key to seeing is involvement!

So...

                                      Consider the ordinary as a complete composition it itself.



Get up close and personal!


 Tell a story with your picture. We all have stories to share about how we look at things.  I'll continue to stay involved with my seeing.  I must say that I am enjoying it!

4 comments:

Threadpainter said...

Wise ideas from Freeman Patterson and looks like you really enjoyed youself. I always have my camera available and take some shots that others don't 'see' ... haven't tried taking them from between my legs yet!

Createology said...

If only Your Rooster had taken a photo of you taking a photo between your legs upside down. How refreshing to look through the lens of a camera to see the beauty in our everyday nature which surrounds us. From all that white stuff to your beautiful greens...lovely. I wondered what had happened to your lovely red tulips. Blissful Day Dear...

HollyM said...

I've admired Freeman for many years! He's fro our province. Photography is so addictive. Love your photos.

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

Thanks for sharing those insights - I love how you are actively seeking vision! Freeman P actually spoke here last Friday and I couldn’t go. Painful to have to miss that opportunity!