Thursday, November 28, 2013

Playing 101


 Happy Holidays to me!  I went and splurged on a couple of books and some stencils and stamps.  I am actually not much of a game player but I do like playing.

I really like using stencils, masks and stamps. There are some wonderfully talented people making useful supplies and tools.  I do support them as you can see.  lol  I really wanted the Balzer Bits leaf stencil but it must be a hot item because it sold out before I could finish my order. :(    But I have also been studying them and realizing I can make some myself.   I tried my hand at leaves.  File folders, card stock, clear packing tape and mac tac were supplies I had at hand.  I'm familiar with stencils from marking quilting designs and even have some of those kinds of stencils.  I'm not sure I want to use a stencil forever so I am happy at this point to try for something with a shorter shelf life.  But, ah, the logistics of design.  I need to study on this a bit if I want a leaf on my fabric.  ;)

I spurted out too much paint so I tried my new stencil.  In my rush to spread the paint before I ran out or it dried, I sponged lightly. oooh, I like that! 

Foam stamps are quite fun.  I didn't have time for that but I'm thinking I might get a better leaf image with inner spine and outer outline from cutting the sticky back foam into a leaf shape for a stamp.  Maybe tomorrow.  When I have a bit more time I'd like to try carving some stamps.

I am also carefully copying a mixed media tutorial each week so I can improve my skills. Andrea Walford   I am just trying to focus on gaining control and experience with my supplies.  I'm learning what brands, what consistency, what mediums and even which techniques I like best.  My credit card scraping needs work and so does my white space but the benefit of copying shows you where the differences lie and makes you think about what you art doing. I realized I was hurrying again so I stopped before I made a mess I couldn't fix.  I think my mind is on my new books!  lol

LOTS of light fluffy stuff yesterday.  I was game for going out today because I was expecting those game pieces.  Happy Thanksgiving to my neighbours to the south!

4 comments:

Leanne said...

I bet you would have fun making stamps, it looks pretty easy to do.

Margaret said...

I confess I'm not a big stamp user, but I do like the mark made by a shape cut out of expandable sponge. Have you tried that?

Createology said...

How joyful to see you playing with your supplies. New goodies to explore looks fun. That Stencil Girl book really intrigues me but I haven't invested in it yet. We are still dry with no rain or snow. Keep playing and practicing dear...

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Wow, you have some yummy looking new toys! Like that leaf stencil but your right they are so easy to cut, well, if you keep the design simple they are easy to cut! I hope you have fun carving stamps....I love carving them but really don't have a lot of ideas on how to use them when I'm done. They are something else that is a lot less expensive if you make yourself. I've made the foam one, too. They are pretty easy to work with and hold up well. Have fun with and let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...as if you could stop it!!!