Wednesday, March 26, 2014

WOW Its like riding a bike!


Once upon a time I did a lot of machine quilting.  I am having to relearn my skills.  I could blame a luv that matches quilting in mixed media art but...

One of my first quilts actually intimidated me. I scanned an old photograph, one of the two I have of this quilt.  I did quilting in the ditch for the improvisational pin wheel blocks and some free motion leaves in the corners.  Then I tackled the borders of this queen size quilt.  I drew in a double spine and then I free motion quilted every flower I could visualize and I clustered them like arrangements in a basket . They are in groupings as the spine curves from edge to edge.  I was in some kind of zone and it all happened wonderfully.  The quilt was a gift to my SIL and BIL for their 25th  (1997).  The show theme was seasons and it was called Life Through the Seasons.  It won a third at the guild show and then a first at the Red River Exhibition. I think the deadline for the show made me 'just' do it!  :)   I'm not sure if it even survived hard use as it was done in variegated rayon thread.   :O  But when I think of it I consider it a tough act to follow and perhaps that is why I have kinda avoided doing more.  Which is silly!  So...

I am climbing back on the bike.  I did some straight line and some echoing.  Not enough.  I'm going back and outlining in the ditch.  Not enough.  So...

I'll be doing a continuous free motion curve inside the triangles and then I'll take a big breath and go for a free motion vine in the valleys between those triangles.  I do like doing leaves.

Each of these monthly wall hangings will be a challenge to add more and more quilting.  Spring was a good start because I think of spring as a more simple, almost minimalistic season.  I also need a stiffer batting for wall hangings and this is a thermal batting that once was an ironing station.  I saw an idea for a envelope style finish so I hope it works as I'm feeling like the chains have no beginning or endings.  A few missing links but.... ;^)

The Needle & Thread Network is wonderfully encouraging and has fine examples of quilting that pushes the traditions in using the quilting stitch.  Actually my April Showers idea may need some hand quilting.  Now there is a real challenge as I been there, done it and got a stiff neck.  LOL It is also why I embraced machine quilting!  ;~)   Check out the links in the TN&TN chain, why don't ya!!!

10 comments:

M-R Charbonneau said...

Yay! You can do it, Elle! The vine will look beautiful with that quilt. Love the colours!

Createology said...

With your amazing ability to dive in and do it I have no doubts that you will finish this quilt and get rave reviews! I really like your triangles and stitching so far...

What Comes Next? said...

way to go Elle!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Looks fabulous Elle :)

Jo Ferguson said...

The quilt turned out beautifully and the quilting is exquisite. Thanks for showing one of your first quilts. I can see why it did so well at the show.

Linda said...

Your triangle quilt looks great Elle and I just love your improv windmills.

Leanne said...

I think your quilting plan sounds great, I hope you show it off when it is done. I love the triangles, also the photo of your older quilt too.

Margaret said...

Go for it, elle! I like your plans for that leafy vine. :-)

Regina said...

Fantastic quilts both, and free-motion quilting is much easier than stitch-in-the-ditch!

Lorette said...

those are beautiful quilts! You'll see how easy it is to ride that quilting bike!!