Wednesday, May 21, 2014

WOW- mayhem!


Three tries and they are still not right!  :(  What am I doing wrong???

Aha!  These two patterns look the same but on closer examination it seems they are not the same. duh! 

I knew the two examples were different sizes so I was working with the 12 inch block.  The six inch is for a pillow case and has the actual layout I want.

Then add to the mix, overlapping templates that span three pages.  I can see I was sunk before I even began!  :O  (I went back and double checked- I think they have the wrong template letter.)

I did notice that the first pattern had an easier set up; the four handles are appliqued on one piece and the baskets are built around that centre.  I could make up for lost time here.  :)

So I drafted up my own full page block with the easier layout of the first and the size from the second.  I do believe the darn thing will now work.  If I can just pay attention to what colours go where instead of thinking one basket at a time this will actually be more visually pleasing.

The bad news is that I have made hash from a lovely white tone on tone fabric. vbsigh.  I chose a LENGTHY piece of white tone on tone for this next try and won't have the worry of fabric requirements for the border.   I only have a couple of coloured triangles to re cut because it was the smaller size of the white squares that were the ones causing trouble.  I even have enough handle to make another basket.  yay!  I'm so glad i hadn't got those handles done as planned.  phew!

MAYbe I'll have something accurate to show for next week.  ;~)  Darn it anyway;  why can't I just follow a prescribed pattern instead of trying to be cute!!!  LOL  I guess that is the nature of  'what if...'.

I'm sure my fellow TNTNer's are all successfully filling their May baskets with lovely projects.  You may want to check that out! 

6 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

you'll get it Elle!!! Sometimes we hurry too much...lovely colors!

Createology said...

This is why I do not quilt! Too much math and too many pieces to fiddle with. And...I hate to ruin fabric. By George, I think you've got it! Creative Basket Bliss...

What Comes Next? said...

You're on the right track now with your own pattern drafted out! It will be lovely!

Lorette said...

Drafting your own blocks gives you an opportunity to verify the cutting requirements of a pattern before you cut into your fabrics! Your efforts will pay off... great pattern... I have a WIP from 1994 with this pattern... I hand appliqued all the handles (all 240) and have yet to finish the baskets.

Jo Ferguson said...

The other day I was trying to figure out how to reverse letters, to print on a t-shirt transfer. It should have taken a minute. Three hours later, I finally figured it out. I didn't stitch an inch. I tried to tell myself that it wasn't a complete waste of time, I did learn a lot about my computer, printer and Photoshop. What I finally decided is that prep work can be a very big pain in the...you know. We get there in the end (pun intended) and the final work is always worth it. Your quilt is going to be a stunner. My project, on the other hand, not so much.

Margaret said...

I long ago gave up making basket blocks. You are a braver woman than I!