Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wow, the worktable bounce

To get to the June blocks I had to get the sewing machines humming and the cutting table cleared.

The HSTerical Quilt Along has helped get my Noah's Ark top completed.  The chopped off look kinda bothers me but I shall get the top into the gift cupboard and ready for a youngster.  My niece had a baby boy but I'm not sure Noah is appropriate.  ;~)   It floats here as we have rain forecast for everyday this week.

Then I had Mini motoring along.  I had thought dots for the sides but I have lots of this white.  I am keeping the stems to greens and a couple of aqua.  When auditioning flowers I decided to just use them all.  But there is a dirty fold in the background so I'll switch that out rather than take a chance. These painted tone on tones are a real pain to applique on but after the flowers it'll be all machine quilting.

I really hope I can use the dots for the binding.  I'll know for sure when it is all quilted.  I have been studying a site that uses long arm rulers on a domestic machine.  I am very intrigued!!!

My June bunnies needed to be fussy cut and that meant bias edges for three prints if I want to efficiently use the fabrics.

 I bought this ruler on sale somewhere, sometime and its day has come!  lol  I get ten centres from the fat quarters and there are a few that aren't centred but if I can live with chopped off waves I guess I can live with a few off kilter bunnies! :}

 I decided to just make my life easier and put strips around the centre.  I have THREE quarter inch feet but I was in such a hurry to get sewing that I didn't change Mini's foot.  grrr!  Since I am so enthralled with my sewing progress I decided that I can live with  seven and a half inch blocks.  This way I trim them all to the same size and NO problems.

  I do need to think about seams though because it'll make for faster assembling and this deadline is imminent.  :0  I prefer to sew my strips like logs around the cabin rather than pairs of opposites.  I just need to orient that one long strip to be opposite the seamed sides.  Since I have gotten a few quilts under my belt I've learned to enjoy the process and don't do near as much assembly line, chain piecing or peddle to the metal sewing.  :)

 My math is always dicey but I think I need about 50 blocks for this June wall hanging.   edit:  I multiplied and I should have added. vbsigh.  Now I have 20 extra centres.  :(

I'm bouncing around a couple of ideas for July and August.  ???

And now it is time to bounce around the country and see what the gals are doing on The Needle and Thread Network!  I hope there are places in Canada where the rain isn't bouncing off the peonies!  :)  

2 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

busy lady!!!!! Everything looks fantastic Elle

Jo Ferguson said...

I ran out of breath, just reading your posting. Phew, I need to sit down for a minute.