Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Where oh where...

oh where, did January go-


My mojo hasn't gone anywhere but there were a whole bunch of procrastinating chores in front of it.

I'm working on my diet and I imagine some of the tired feeling is the withdrawal from those hyper/addictive foods.  I am liking the ginger tea with breakfast and the no computer during the morning.  Lunch is at the 'puter with good food and then COFFEE!  :)

Now the focus this year is fabric so I haven't posted too much mixed media art but...

My gal and I had a visitor for our regular day.  We take what we learn and then share it with the grand kiddies the following day.


 The background technique involved about 4-5 different steps so we just passed the papers to the student on our right after each step.  I got so excited I almost pitched the fabric focus.  I do think this would also work with fabric dyeing though!  ;^)                                           

Then we made little journals and a bookmark.   I felt like the art was well done.  Because I tend to be a technique junkie,  we decided to follow a bit of a plan and to keep with the wet stuff while the skills build and the interest is high.

So we are back to basics- the colour wheel and the first colour yellow.  Adding white and black.  We decided to keep it simple and didn't show the kiddies how the complimentary colour also adds nuances to the colour scheme.  We are learning lots!  :)

Again, not fabric related but I have my new camera.  I haven't even put the new lens on but I've been thumbing through the very thick manual.  eek!   I splurged on a camera case and in the spirit of me- my theme for the year, I have to figure out how to make it mine.   I wasn't feeling to try paint on it and then remembered I want to do handwork so...

I need to just do this so I signed up for a once a month camera challenge.  Tomorrow my gal and I have an art field trip and I shall have my bag packed - ready or not- and I shall click away!  :O  Then I'll have to figure out how to upload and all that. :(


If I want fabric/fibre to be the focus I had to make my main machine, Nina ready for anything and especially machine quilting.  I swear I should get a paying job reorganizing people spaces because...  you guessed it I changed the playroom around.  I had this set up before for Nina and it was great.  I didn't want to change the wet corner but I could restore the other corner.  It works.

 Mostly because I actually have consolidated (ie. thrown out) lots of stuff.  Everything fit but I have to either lift up or move those wall files.  Bonus is a less cluttered look; and if I can get the Rooster to fill in that open space with a lovely piece of melamine, it'll be perfect.  The quilts will be supported on the left and can spread out towards the wall when I move the books.  I stand to quilt and I don't feel cramped.  Here is hoping I can then get to the UFO busting that is sandwiched and due presently!

The winter has been quite lovely and we have actually had rain so the snow has gone down.  Snow and cold is again forecast though.  But the young steer is apparently bored with the whole thing and has left his pasture mates, two sheep, and has gone to look for greener pastures to kick up his heels in!  :(   Where oh where will he wander to next? 

And that should give my dear followers some idea of where I have actually been!  :)

5 comments:

Createology said...

January is almost in the taillights. Love the art days with all those beautiful papers. Then to make journals is very smart. Your studio is really looking fabulous and friendly and ready to take on every challenge you give it. Wander On My Freind...

Bonnie said...

Did you marble your papers or dye them. Both are fun. Have you always sewn standing up?

Mrs.Pickles said...

looks like you all had a lot of fun and ended up with some lovely work!

What Comes Next? said...

I wish I knew where January went, it disappeared so quickly! A very fun productive day in the studio with the kiddos. Some lovely pieces as a result. Love the fact that you've rearranged again - the space has to work, and if it doesn't change it! I sure could use your rearrangement skills out here...

Threadpainter said...

You are a fabulous grandmother !
I saw your comment re; taking selfies on Carolyn's blog and burst out laughing ;0 ... you are so funny, too !