Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Red and White Treasure

Canada is celebrating its red and whiteness today!  :0  So I thought I'd postpone stripping for a week and show some red and white myself.

I am a big fan of Gwen Marston and early on in my quilting life I was going to make a dozen miniatures to compliment my folk art period.  Unfortunately the folk art period passed before I got very many done. ;^)  This is hand appliqued.  I also tried my sewing machine's hand quilting stitch.  Boy, all that back and forth took a long time to stitch out!  :O

I had made three quilts for my parents but my mum kept talking about a red and white quilt that her mother had made.  I finally figured she wanted one also.  It must have been an Ohio Star and I was not looking forward to making a two colour boring quilt.  :{  I actually used an early EQ program to make sure I wouldn't be doing this twice. ha! If I alternated the colours it looked better to me.  So I proceeded. The blocks are about 9 inches.  And as a nod to my assymetricalism  I put a wee star in the corner.  The backing is a strawberry print, my mum's favourite fruit.  The batting is 100% cotton and I machine quilted it in a plaid pattern to add a bit of Scottish heritage.

I was still into miniatures and couldn't resist making a smaller version for myself. I think these are 6 inch blocks and then the wee guy.  I hadn't quite figured out that miniatures take just as much time as full size quilts.  LOL

They were made as a Christmas present and I called mine Peppermint Star!  A sweet treasure!

I am linking this up to Jenn's Throwback Thursday!

12 comments:

Createology said...

Happy Canadian Red and White Day. Your quilts are stunning and timeless. Yes, miniature can actually be even more tedious and time consuming. Love your little block in the corner. Blessings...

Margaret said...

I love red and white quilts! Did a red-work piece for Mirror's Centennial in 2012; it now hangs in the Mirror & District Museum (blush)...You can't beat that colour combo!

Jo Ferguson said...

Red and white quilts are some of my favourites. Thanks for sharing yours.

Jo Ferguson said...

Red and white quilts are some of my favourites. Thanks for sharing yours.

Beth said...

Very patriotic and congrats on your new Prime Minister!!

Jayne said...

I love a good Red & White quilt...this one is wonderful! I'm sure your mom was very happy and surprised with it too!

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

There's just something about a red and white quilt... so crisp and fresh. I love that little sneaky block in the corner. Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

Paige said...

Love red and white quilts and especially love the reverse setting like you have done. Lovely hand applique too!

JanineMarie said...

What striking quilts! I really like how you reversed the colors in the Ohio Star. Your mother must have been thrilled!

Tish Stemple said...

I love the tiny little block in the corner. What neat little touch. And you are right making miniature versions of quilts can take just as much time as the big guys :)

Dasha said...

Lovely fresh look in both the quilts. Ohio Stars are timeless so the quilt will never look dated, especially with your colour choice.

the zen quilter said...

What a fun idea - celebrating COLOR! I too love red and white - can't really go wrong with it. O Canada - happy red and white day to y'all from Texas!